Home Improvement Ideas: Proper Practices to Do When Installing Skylights
How do you make your house beautiful and environment-friendly at the same time? By installing solar skylights! Skylights are considered as an environment-friendly source of light. These roof windows even offer more ventilation and light when you compare one to a normal window. There are many types of skylights to choose from: the diamond skylights, belle skylights, dome skylights, and others. All these types are equally great when it comes to form and functionality. Enjoying the beauty of skylights is one thing, but installing them is another. This article aims to help house owners on how to install skylights properly to avoid any unpleasant consequences.
How to properly install skylights
Installing skylights shouldn’t be that complicated since it is just a matter of putting the fixture on the roof. However, a good technique should be observed to land a success. On the off chance that one is familiar with and prepared on the basic technique for installing skylights then one can even choose to do it all alone.
The proper phases that should be taken after to assist the installation procedure are the following:
1. Place a ladder fittingly to arrive at the point where you want the fixture to be located.
2. Take the skylight piece, bore, and pencil and climb the step with them.
3. Mark the zone and bore an opening in the focal point of stamped spot.
4. Put a wire holder into the gap and after that move down the stepping stool.
5. Push the wire holder through the opening and again do an outlining of the light fixture.
6. Cut out the outlined area with the appropriate kind of saw.
7. If the rooftop bolster is even, fix them upright.
How to avoid accidents and leakage with skylight installations
People install solar skylights so as to receive natural light and not water. These lights certainly make a room look bigger and brighter. However, when installed improperly, these fixtures cause a lot of annoyance if it starts leaking water instead of light. The leakage of roof skylight is really a huge botheration and needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
How to inspect faulty installation and possible leakage
There can be several causes for this leakage like weather, faulty installation, damaged flashing, roof shingles caulking and also leakage of other corners in the house. Listed below are some of the ways to detect a leakage and installation infractions on solar skylight fixtures:
· To find out where the leakage started, do not ignore any small dripping as it could lead to a major problem later on.
· To confirm that there are leakages, examine trim boards and drywall surrounding the light.
· If they are wet more than the regular condensation then it would be confirmed that there is definitely seepage.
· Check out the roof skylight, inspect the joints, flashing, screw heads, corners, and areas where there is a risk for the entry of water.
· Seal the affected region and also clear debris or leaves gathered there if any and verify that there is no crack.
· Press the decking or roof area around light with a foot to make sure that it is not damaged.
· If it is not that big, then seal with silicon layer along the length of crack if it is small. Starting from the top, move down slowly on one side and then shift to another side.
· In case it is impossible to seal it or if it is completely wrecked, then replacement of the roof skylight would be a better option. See more here http://customskylights.com.au/products/illume